About the Area Mexico is the first choice for expats moving and retiring abroad. The beautiful weather, first-class amenities, healthcare, warmth of the people, and a tranquil lifestyle all make Mexico's appeal impossible to ignore.
The Lake Chapala area has attracted more expats than any other. It's generally believed to have the largest concentration of U.S. and Canadian expats in the world – estimated at over 20,000.
Lake Chapala is Mexico's largest inland body of water (about 40 miles/70 km long), and is situated at an altitude of about 5,000 feet in the Sierra Madre mountain range. The most popular retirement destination here is the village of Ajijic, on its northern shore.
• according to experts, the area surrounding Lake Chapala might have the best weather in the world; it's about the same latitude as Hawaii, and the same elevation as Denver; the average year-round daytime temperature is 77°F/25°C, with low humidity;
• for those looking for a retirement destination, finding a place that embodies the culture of the country is important; Ajijic is the perfect blend of old Mexico and modern life, coupled with a large expat population for support;
• it's located about 30 minutes from an international airport, and about 45 minutes from the major city of Guadalajara;
• living here is affordable, because the cost of living is significantly less than north-of-the border;
• the majority of expats living here feel safer than they do in many large cities in the U.S. or Canada; there's a strong sense of community, with neighbours looking out for neighbours;
• there are ample English-speaking doctors and clinics in the immediate area, and several large, state-of-the-art hospitals in nearby Guadalajara; healthcare in Mexico costs a fraction of the care in the U.S.; doctors here still make house calls.
About the House
Your retirement dream home could be this pristine two-level view house in the desirable gated community of Los Olivos.
This luxury property lets you get away from the noise and congestion of the Ajijic village, yet is within walking distance of the main plaza and the weekly market.
• secure and quiet gated community with pool
• three bedroom, three bath modern home full of Mexican charm
• two master bedrooms – one upstairs, and one on the main level
• spacious kitchen with granite, natural wood cabinets, and an island – lake & mountain views from kitchen window
• huge living room with air conditioning and gas fireplace
• large terrace – perfect for entertaining
• lots of closet and storage space (rare!)
• huge master suite with 3.5m (11-1/2ft) vaulted ceiling, air conditioning, and gas/wood fireplace – full ensuite has dual sinks plus a dual shower with lake & mountain views
• second bedroom and ensuite is decorated in traditional hacienda style with its own private access to a terrace – full ensuite bathroom
• breathtaking lake & mountain views from the second floor mirador, master bedroom, and ensuite
• Jacuzzi on the mirador – perfect for watching romantic sunsets